Here is a comfort food recipe that is easy to prepare and the meat mixture can be prepared ahead of time to make it a go-to meal even on a week night. Comfort foods are great at any time of the year but really hit the spot in the cooler months.
I have made this Shepards Pie recipe many times throughout the year and it is a hit every time. I know that you and your family will enjoy it as much as my family does!
An Everyday Shepards Pie Recipe
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 to 3 T olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery chopped i 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce or 2 ripe chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t herbes de provence
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water or stock or more if needed
- 3t cornstarch mixed with 3t of cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 5 medium sized red potatoes
- 3T unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- salt to taste
- Saute onions carrots, celery and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add ground beef and Worcestershire sauce and cook stirring until browned through.
- Add Herbes de provence, tomatoes and water or stock and cook covered on low temperature for about 1/2 hour or until veggies are crisp/tender.
- Add more water or stock if the mixture is dry. When you cook the Shepards pie in the oven the potatoes will absorb some of the moisture.
- Before turning off heat, stir in the cornstarch mixture and the parsley and stir until it has thickened.
- Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and boil in salted boiling water until fork tender.
- Add butter to milk or cream and heat until the butter is melted.
- Add the butter mixture to the potatoes and mash.
- Add salt to taste.
- Put the meat mixture in an oven proof casserole and top carefully with the potato mixture. Don’t put the potatoes all in one spot because they will sink to the bottom. Spread the potatoes so that they cover the meat.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes of until the potatoes get a little golden on top.
We hope you enjoy this shepards pie recipe.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment or use our Contact Us page.
We also would appreciate it if you pin the image to Pinterest or share this article by clicking on the icons below.
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter (@LifenKitchen) and Pinterest (LifenKitchen)!
Thalia and Bob