This is a very easy and versatile salmon burger recipe that I also use to make salmon cakes which I serve for appetizers or dinner. You can make these salmon burgers ahead and freeze them so that you can have them available anytime which would make this a great weeknight meal.
I often make the salmon cakes for dinner parties one day ahead and refrigerate them. When we are ready to eat, all I have to do is saute them for a bit in olive oil and they are done. If you want to make these a little lighter you can do away with the bun and serve them hot with a nice salad.
I often make a large quantity of the marinated and broiled salmon fillets so that I can serve some for dinner that day and have the rest to make salmon cakes for the next day. You get two meals for your efforts and this makes it so easy to have these during the week.
- 1 lb fresh salmon cut into fillets
- 2T olive oil and more for sauteing
- 2t whole grain mustard
- 1/2t kosher salt
- 1T Honey
- 1T balsamic vinegar
- black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- 1T fresh lemon juice
- 1 green onion chopped
- 2 T herbs chopped (dill and parsley are nice)
- 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs and more for sauteing
- hamburger buns
- tartar sauce for the burgers
- lettuce leaves for the burgers
- lemon wedges for serving
- To make the marinade for the salmon whisk together the oil, mustard, salt, honey, vinegar and pepper.
- Put the salmon in a zip lock bag and add the marinade and marinate for up to 45 minutes.
- Remove the salmon and discard the marinade.
- Put salmon on a foil lined baking pan and broil a few inches from the heat until nicely browned and just slightly underdone in the middle.
- Let the salmon cool and break up into bite size pieces and remove the skin. Put it a bowl large enough to mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix together the mayo, hot sauce and lemon juice.
- Add this mixture to the salmon along with the egg, green onion, herbs and 1/3 cup bread crumbs and mix just until combined. I like to leave some chunks of salmon.
- Taste the mixture for salt and pepper.
- Make salmon burgers out of the mixture about the size of the burger buns.
- Put the remaining bread crumbs in a bowl and pat the crumbs on each burger.
- Saute the burgers on both sides in enough olive oil to just cover the pan. They are done when nicely browned on both sides.
- Serve the salmon burgers on buns with tartar sauce and lettuce with lemon wedges on the side. (you can make your own tartar sauce by mixing mayo and dill relish or diced pickles)
We hope you enjoy this salmon burger recipe.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment or use our Contact Us page.
We also would appreciate it if you pin the image to Pinterest or share this article by clicking on the icons below.
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter (@LifenKitchen) and Pinterest (LifenKitchen)!
Thalia and Bob