After I made apple sauce with the apples straight from the farm I decided to try and come up with a combination apple bread and streusel topped coffee cake. It turned out great!! This apple sauce coffee cake recipe can be even easier if you want by using store bought apple sauce.
My family and I do not like overly sweet breakfast cakes so there is less sugar in the cake than most would add. The streusel topping does however add extra sweetness and crunch. It’s great for breakfast with a hot cup of coffee as well as with vanilla ice cream for dessert. I will be making this recipe very often!
Apple Sauce Coffee Cake
- 1 3/4C flour
- 1/2C sugar
- 1/2C vegetable oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1t baking powder
- 1t baking soda
- 1C home made or store bought chunky apple sauce
- 1t cinnamon
- 1/4t nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- 1/4C brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1T vegetable oil
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, nuts and 1T oil for the streusel topping and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Beat the 1/2 cup of oil, and sugar well.
- Add the egg and beat until mixed well.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and apple sauce while beating on low until the mixture is combined.
- Grease and flour an 8 by 8 by 2 inch baking pan.
- Add the batter to the pan and top with the streusel topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
We hope you enjoy this apple sauce coffee cake recipe.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment or use our Contact Us page.
We also would appreciate it if you pin the image to Pinterest or share this article by clicking on the icons below.
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter (@LifenKitchen) and Pinterest (LifenKitchen)!
Thalia and Bob