When I was growing up, my mother made the simplest dish of zucchini and feta cheese that we all loved so much. It is one of the first things I started making for myself because of the fact that it was so easy and it contained so few ingredients.
Lately I have been using this recipe to create sauces for pastas and gnocchi. Of course you can make this any time of the year, and I do, but this time of year when zucchini are in season, delicious, and plentiful it is a great time to give this orzo recipe a try.
In fact, I have turned people into zucchini lovers combining zucchini and feta cheese. It's a match made in heaven! If you are looking for easy pasta recipes, this orzo pasta recipe is a winner!
Orzo with Zucchini and Feta Cheese
- 3 medium sized zucchini cut in half lengthwise and chopped in 1/2 inch pieces.
- 1/4 lb good quality feta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup stock to thin the sauce
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 3/4 lb orzo cooked according to package instructions and drain
- Salt and pepper to taste
- grated Romano cheese for serving
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet and add the zucchini. Cook on high heat and don't stir until that one side is nicely browned. Then stir until all sides are browned and water has cooked out of the zucchini.
- Lower the heat to medium low and add cheeses and stock.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pasta to the sauce and toss well.
- Serve with the extra cheese at the table
We hope you enjoy this orzo recipe.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment or use our Contact Us page.
We also would appreciate it if you pin the image to Pinterest or share this article by clicking on the icons below.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter (@LifenKitchen) and Pinterest (LifenKitchen)!
Thalia and Bob