Paella is such a wonderful collection of various ingredients and what you include is entirely up to you. This paella recipe is a combination of calamari, chicken, and sausage for the main ingredients.
The mixture of flavors is awesome! It is a special meal and requires more work than a typical meal that you have during the week. I usually make paella on the weekends which is great because the whole family can enjoy the wonderful smells throughout the day.
Recipe: Calamari, Chicken, and Sausage Paella
Summary: A special meal to serve up for family or friends. You will love this paella!
- 2 lbs cleaned medium-sized calamari
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 oz dry white wine
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 chicken legs cut at the joint yielding 2 thighs and 2 drumsticks
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 t salt
- ground black pepper
- 2/3 lb smoked sausage cut into 1/2 ” pieces
- 1/2 onion chopped
- pinch of saffron
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups of rice
- 3 1/2 cups liquid – calamari juice plus clam stock or water to equal 3 1/2 cups
- 10 cherry tomatoes cut into thirds
- chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pot for calamari.
- Add garlic and cook on medium heat until garlic has softened.
- Add red pepper flakes and tomato sauce.
- Add calamari to pot.
- Simmer covered stirring occasionally for 45 minutes or until calamari is no longer tough.
- Strain the calamari and save the juice.
- Set both aside or refrigerate if you are cooking paella later.
- Combine olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Marinate chicken in it for at least 1/2 hour.
- Bake chicken in a foil covered pan at 375F for 50 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, debone and skin the chicken.
- Set chicken aside or refrigerate if you are cooking paella later.
- Discard skin and bones.
- Assembling Paella
- Heat oil in a dutch oven.
- Saute onions and smoked sausage at medium heat until onion is translucent and sausage is browned. Remove from pan.
- Add the rice to the dutch oven and cook the rice stirring until it is slightly browned.
- Add the 3 1/2 cups of liquid, add saffron, and stir.
- Add the calamari, chicken, sausage, onions, and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the peas and parsley and cook for another 10 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Let the paella sit off the heat covered for about 5 minutes and serve.
Preparation time: 45 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Spanish
Various Images of Preparing the Paella Recipe
(Click on any of the images below for a larger view)
We hope you enjoy this delectable paella recipe.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment or use our Contact Us page.
We would appreciate it if you pin the image to Pinterest or share this article by clicking on the icons below.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter (@LifenKitchen) and Pinterest (LifenKitchen)!
Thalia and Bob